HISTORY IN BRIEF :-
Thane derived its name from "STHAN" or "STHANKA", known then as the Head Quarter of the Konkan Kingdom of the Shilaharas.
The earliest reference of this place was traced as early as in 636 A.D. when the Governor of Baharin and Oman had sent a plundering expedition.
Thane had flourished in the earlier period as a Port by about 1094 A.D. Therefore as a result of Naval defeat in in 1529.
Thane became a tributary to the Portuguese and it seems it had then started prospering. In the early 1730, the Portuguese had started construction of the Fort.
The Maratha Empire captured the city in 1737 and completed the Fort construction. Thereafter in 1774, the British captured the city. Thus around 1800, the town had grown mainly to the west of the fort with a road leading towards South-West to Bombay and a road towards North leading to Surat via Ghodbunder. Thereafter, it became District Head Quarter and attained as an Industrial Town during 1960-70.
The city comprises of a number of lakes spread all over. Sir Patrick Geddes, an eminent British Town Planner when visited in 1915, was impressed by the tanks and had suggested preservation and beautification of tanks. Thane can be called as a Lake City.